64-bit counter on 32-bit Windows

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Coool

64-bit counter on 32-bit Windows

Post by Coool »

Hi!

Is it possible to get 64-bit counter on 32-bit Windows and Windows in general?

Thanks.
TheWitness
Developer

Re: 64-bit counter on 32-bit Windows

Post by TheWitness »

Ask Bill Gates. What a piece of shite. Nope...
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
Coool

Post by Coool »

Great piece of shit. :D
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

You know, I've been using Windows since 1984 when I was working for a newspaper in Savannah Georgia. Windows had a lot of promises, but it brought a lot of pain with it in the beginning. I still use Windows for everything "except" anything that I would run a business on. For example, there is no better OS than Linux for Web Applications hands down.

Now, on the flip side, the story of SNMP is a horrific one. Though Windows claims to be 64 bit now, there are tools that Microsoft has been trying to get rid of for years, and SNMP is one of them. But beyond that deprecation that continually gets kicked down the road, the problem with 64 bit counters in Windows goes beyond a simple change to the SNMP agent, it goes to their monitoring framework, where things like traffic are decimal, they don't even support 64 bit (at least they were with Windows 10). If you look at the WMI framework, the network counters that you would think would natively be simple 64 bit counters, are actually decimals (40 bit if I remember correctly). Holy shit!

So, the problem is deep and Microsoft likely feels that there is no profit in it. So they simply defer fixing their monitoring framework. Even the Net-SNMP agent that comes from the Net-SNMP guys can not fix this problem. Microsoft has to do it.

Anyway, if you are using a Microsoft Server to host a critical service, use 1 minute polling and you will get less of a chance of overflows, and if you have that much traffic, move your applications to Linux.
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
Coool

Post by Coool »

I don't get it... So big company and can't afford good developers to code new (fix) codebase. Windows will not be good until it's become Open Source (Bazar type of development). Money rolling macine ends. Anyway most use pirated Windows :P .

P.S.
It won't happend.

P.S.S.
I'm using for my light client machine Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry.
Last edited by Coool on Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Too funny :o