Place Your Feature Requests & Bug Reports Here

Support questions about the MAC Track plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

The cacti.log file is essential to finding issues.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
m00tpoint

Post by m00tpoint »

Running MacTrack 2.8 with 0.8.7g, install from tarballs on Ubuntu 10.04 server. After installation, none of the IP address functionality worked. In lib/mactrack_functions.php, I then changed the line: "function get_standard_arp_table($site, &$device) {" to "function get_standard_arp_table($site, $device) {"

After a manual run of poller_mactrack.php, I now am seeing IP/MAC pairs. The only odd thing I currently see is that the "port number" in the far right hand column in the "IP Addresses" tab is the same for all items on each switch.

m00t
csherry

Post by csherry »

TheWitness wrote:The cacti.log file is essential to finding issues.

TheWitness
There aren't any errors in the log. Digging deeper, I think I might be having an issue with the MAC scanning function on the Junipers... DNS resolution being a secondary issue. It spits this out when I run the mactrack_scanner from CLI using get_JEX_switch_ports:

INFO: HOST:BLAH, TYPE: Juniper Networks, Inc. ex4200-48t intern, TOTAL PORTS: 0, ACTIVE PORTS: 369

Problem is, this is a stack of two 48 port switches. Nowhere near 369 ports. If I use the get_generic_switch_ports, it spits this out:

INFO: HOST: BLAH, TYPE: Juniper Networks, Inc. ex4200-48t intern, TOTAL PORTS: 102, OPER PORTS: 48

That's more inline with the number of ports on the switch.

Looking through the mactrack_juniper function (my PHP knowledge being very limited, think third grade reading level), this stood out:

Code: Select all

foreach($ifIndexes as $ifIndex) {
                $ifInterfaces[$ifIndex]["trunkPortState"] = @$vlan_trunkstatus[$ifIndex];

if (($ifInterfaces[$ifIndex]["ifType"] == "propVirtual(53)" ) or ($ifInterfaces[$ifIndex]["ifType"] == "ieee8023adLag(161)" )) {
                        $device["ports_total"]++;
                }

if ($ifInterfaces[$ifIndex]["trunkPortState"] == 3) {
                        $device["ports_trunk"]++;
                }
        }
        mactrack_debug("ifInterfaces assembly complete.");
$vlan_trunkstatus doesn't seem to be initialized anywhere like it is in the other functions (HP, Cisco, etc). What OID does that need to be feed? Also, it seems that ports_total is getting incremented with 53 and 161 ifTypes. Wouldn't we want ifType of 6 in there too?

This might be too much for the bugs thread, so just let me know and I can move it to it's own thread.

Thanks for all the hard work on this.

Chris.
shadowmanr6

Feature Request

Post by shadowmanr6 »

Have a suggestion for the Interfaces tab, you list the ports status/traffic/alias, could you have it show the VLAN for that port as well, i know this is displayed in the MAC address's tab so it would seem appropriate since the MAC Addresses tab only shows the active ports. Thanks!
torstentfk
Cacti User

Post by torstentfk »

I have a feature request for the DB layout mac_track_ports incl index:
Possibility to have a partitioned table in order to speed up backups and spare time at transfering/sync to other hosts.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

lol. Log here please: http://bugs.cacti.net under the Plugins sub-section.
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
torstentfk
Cacti User

Post by torstentfk »

mhh-- lol? -- my table is 4G in size and the index, too. so 8gb data...
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Because, if you are running 5.1, these things become trivial, and I'm so busy with other things, I just have to laugh from time to time to relieve the pressure. What database engine do you currently use?

TheWitness

torstentfk
Cacti User

Post by torstentfk »

i use myisam as the backup and transfer to our DR-cacti is better (do only file copy). I do not want to rely on the binary inob-file.
mysql verision:
"mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.1.32, for debian-linux-gnu (i486) using EditLine wrapper"

also feature request (you know it): .1q-interface of cisco switches into mac-port-table
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

The other ones' there already. Make sure you log the partitioning request.

torstentfk
Cacti User

Post by torstentfk »

cacti plugins-section, id 1838 and 1839

-> short hint how the partition function of mac-ports should be? then I can part this db localy.
pepj
Cacti User

Re: Place Your Feature Requests & Bug Reports Here

Post by pepj »

hook 'mactrack', 'page_head'

Hi

a feedback ...
Could you please add a condition in function "mactrack_poller_bottom" in order that the mactrack "javascript" and link do not appear in the other plugins ?
something like ...

function mactrack_page_head() {
        global $config;
        $files = array(''mactrack_view_devices', 'mactrack_devices.php');
        if (isset($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) && in_array(basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']), $files)) {
Thanks
Jean-Michel
cacti 0.8.7e | cmd & cactid (cactid 0.8.x) | Linux | MySQL Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.12, for Win32 | PHP v5.2.6 | Apache v2.x | Thold | Plugin Architecture | plugin "configuration manager" http://cactiusers.org/forums/topic257.html | plugin "IP subnet calculator IPv4 / IPV6" http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=15428 | plugin banner http://docs.cacti.net/userplugin:banner | Net-SNMP 5.5.2 | cygwin 1.5.18 of 02.07.2005
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

pepj wrote:hook 'mactrack', 'page_head'

Hi

a feedback ...
Could you please add a condition in function "mactrack_poller_bottom" in order that the mactrack "javascript" and link do not appear in the other plugins ?
something like ...

function mactrack_page_head() {
        global $config;
        $files = array(''mactrack_view_devices', 'mactrack_devices.php');
        if (isset($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) && in_array(basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']), $files)) {
Thanks
Please log to the Mantis page. http://bugs.cacti.net. Thanks!

TheWitness

Chilloutfaktor

Post by Chilloutfaktor »

Hi,

i got reading mac adresses working, with the juniper-ex4200 switches but it seems that the mac2ip doesnt work.
In the devicetype the ip scanner is set to standard-arp-table.

How can i run a trace in debugmode, wich gives me some help with the ip scanner ?
Running php -q mactrack_scanner.php -id=25 -d - seems not be an error.

Thanks
Chilloutfaktor

Edit: I've checked the result of our routers with the show arp command..
for example:
00:0c:29:b6:06:6c 10.0.100.21 xyzserver.domain.de vlan.100 none
00:c0:eb:0c:8c:37 10.0100.50 10.0.200.50 vlan.100 none
00:c0:eb:0d:18:a3 10.0.200.51 10.0.200.51 vlan.200 none
2c:6b:f5:93:d6:80 10.0.201.6 10.0.201.6 vlan.201
Attachments
devicetype-juniper.JPG
devicetype-juniper.JPG (100.52 KiB) Viewed 12578 times
Palermo
Cacti User

Feature Requests

Post by Palermo »

Feature Request ??

Hi TheWitness,

This is an great tool. Got it all working.
Its easy to find hosts (Quite large network here in Amsterdam).

The interface tab is also very nice. I use it allot.
Is it possible to add an extra colum between " alias" and the "InBound %" colum with the Vlan number,
So you can see the Vlan that port is configured in.

Also i found on the IP address tab port number of a device with the number 423.
Is it possible to change that to the interface notation (ex. gi7/20)

Let me know what you think.
Thx
gr Palermo
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-03-06 at 12.00.01 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-06 at 12.00.01 PM.png (9.24 KiB) Viewed 12373 times