Who Want's A MacTrack 2.0?

Support questions about the MAC Track plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

TheWitness
Developer

Who Want's A MacTrack 2.0?

Post by TheWitness »

In a few months, I will have some-bandwidth to push out a 2.0 plugin. I would like to know about what features are missing needed. So, place them here, and no support request please. You can place links to other feature requests if you like.

Also, I will need testers. Those of you who wish to sign up will have to do a minimum of the following:

1) Test the Code
2) Work with me directly
3) Be able to do GotoMeetings

If any of these things are not acceptable, please don't subscribe to the beta list.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
llow
Cacti User

Post by llow »

I've had it on my todo to get back into integrating mactrack into our setup.

Count me in.
low

Post by low »

I currently have a fairly large implementation of MAC track in a major automotive manufacturing plant. I think it is a great plug-in and am willing to help you out in anyway I can!
rsalomon

Post by rsalomon »

Hi, It would be nice if from "Device Management" we had a drop-down menu item to automatically add devices to the MACTRACK database.
torstentfk
Cacti User

Post by torstentfk »

It would be nice to configure the devices that take part in mactrack via a ckeckbox-option at the device page like "monitor", "ssh" etc. That will remove much work to configure mactrack.

Also nice to have: port count: how much gigabit, fastethernet, tengig interfaces do I have, how much are connected/in use.

Possibility to have trunk ports in mactrack to see backupserver with .1q VLAN-tagging in mactrack. (interswitchlinks can be recognized via the same MAC on one connection)

overview of device types used in my network.
RHartog

Post by RHartog »

If you could add port speed, link status, duplex setting and also specify ports without devices then we would have a perfect insight into the switch availability.

Great job already !
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

They are already there, but not exposed.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
galerien

Post by galerien »

Hello,

I think it could be very nice to be able to Mac-track etherchannel : we are installing few ESX server which hosts a lot of VMware server. As those ESX are connected via etherchannel the servers hosted are then invisible on Mac Track...
torstentfk
Cacti User

Post by torstentfk »

galerien wrote:Hello,

I think it could be very nice to be able to Mac-track etherchannel : we are installing few ESX server which hosts a lot of VMware server. As those ESX are connected via etherchannel the servers hosted are then invisible on Mac Track...
do you mean etherchannel in SUN-speaking or a trunking-port in cisco-language? (801.q vlan tagging).

portchannels in cisco-speak (etherchannel in SUN) is a nice feature....

Torsten
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Ok, If you all check the "Trunk" of the Cacti Plugins Repository, you will find the "work in process" 2.0 stuff. Do not put into production, but if you can setup a test environment (on your laptop or whatever), I would appreciate it.

I have done a number of changes to the UI thus far and it's not fully functional, but please provide testing and feedback.

Things will start to take shape. As of right now, if you are running 1.1, there will be no database upgrade. Also, this is a 0.8.7 plugin and using PIA 2.x. So, be forewarned.

Also, try to keep abreast of the changes. I will be implementing a number of the fixes that have been stacking up for the last 2 years.

Larry

torstentfk
Cacti User

Post by torstentfk »

TheWitness wrote: Also, try to keep abreast of the changes. I will be implementing a number of the fixes that have been stacking up for the last 2 years.
Larry
please do not forget to review the db maintaince intervall. this was not working in my installation.

Torsten
gthe
Cacti User

Re: Who Want's A MacTrack 2.0?

Post by gthe »

TheWitness wrote:In a few months, I will have some-bandwidth to push out a 2.0 plugin. I would like to know about what features are missing needed. So, place them here, and no support request please. You can place links to other feature requests if you like.
1. In poller_mactrack.php, on function collect_mactrack_data, before:

Code: Select all

mactrack_debug("Finished updating site table with collection statistics.");

/* purge the ip address and temp port table */
		db_execute("TRUNCATE TABLE mac_track_temp_ports");
Add something like

api_plugin_hook('collect_mactrack_data_end');
Soo any other plugins may use mactrack temp data. (I really need this for one of my plugin)

2. (optional) Add one more table mactrack_recent_ports like mac_track_ports but with

PRIMARY KEY (`site_id`,`port_number`,`vlan_id`,`mac_address`,`ip_address`,`device_id`),
i.e. without scan_date. Use data from this table for query with

Show:"Most recent"
I think it will be faster.

P.s. and may be it must be type "HEAP".
My cacti plugin -[url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?p=156769#156769]CaMM[/url]
[size=75]Sorry for my English. [/size]
jbeining

Re: Who Want's A MacTrack 2.0?

Post by jbeining »

Having a new report that would allow searching by port state would be great. We have a need to identify which ports are Admin up but Oper down for a specific duration (i.e > 30 days), Admin down Oper Down and Admin Up Oper Up. I am currently getting this info by querying mac_track_interfaces and mac_track_devices.

Keep up the great work.

-Joshua
disH

Post by disH »

- Support for Juniper FW (i have the script collecting the data from a SSG550 but its not storing being stored correctly + matching the ip to mac addresses)
- Better support for CatOS as its still commonly used
- Vlan Change script :) Find ip/mac -> select port and change vlan -> excute based on user access.
- Search single address mac's (find relevant mac, regardless of using :,- dividers eg: 00123f554ab3)
- Allow longer search result lists than 40 at a time
- Change the device drop down menu to not show double names (eg: mydevicename(address) )
- Strip Mac Authorization ??? It serves no purpose unless you bind it with some script that can control port-security.
- Create a database where users can submit their SNMP OIDs & sysDescr info and can be updated just like the vendormacs via http download, so devices will be identified correctly by itself.
- Make it easier to insert custom scanner scripts, so some of us can code our own working scripts - to bad i cant code :(
- Optimise scripts, I dont mind the load on my server, as long as we can reduce load off the network devices and links.

I wish i could code and help on this very useful mactracker :o simply awesome :wink: What do you think of my suggestions?
[url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=4356]Template: Cisco CatOS[/url]
[url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=21785]Mactrack: Netscreen Fw[/url]
[b]_______________[/b]
[b]Cacti Version[/b] - 0.8.7e, [b]Plugin Architecture[/b] - 2.5, [b]Poller Type[/b] - Cact-Spine 0.8.7e
[b]Server Info[/b] - Ubuntu Server 8.10 (2.6.27-7-server), [b]Web Server[/b] - Apache/2.2.9 PHP/5.2.6-2ubuntu4.3 with Suhosin-Patch
[b]PHP[/b] - 5.2.6-2ubuntu4.3, [b]MySQL[/b] - 5.0.67-0ubuntu6-log, [b]RRDTool[/b] - 1.3.1, [b]SNMP[/b] - 5.4.1
[b]Plugins[/b] - Thresholds v0.4.1, Login Mod v1.0, Host Info v0.2
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

disH wrote:- Support for Juniper FW (i have the script collecting the data from a SSG550 but its not storing being stored correctly + matching the ip to mac addresses)
- Better support for CatOS as its still commonly used
- Vlan Change script :) Find ip/mac -> select port and change vlan -> excute based on user access.
- Search single address mac's (find relevant mac, regardless of using :,- dividers eg: 00123f554ab3)
- Allow longer search result lists than 40 at a time
- Change the device drop down menu to not show double names (eg: mydevicename(address) )
- Strip Mac Authorization ??? It serves no purpose unless you bind it with some script that can control port-security.
- Create a database where users can submit their SNMP OIDs & sysDescr info and can be updated just like the vendormacs via http download, so devices will be identified correctly by itself.
- Make it easier to insert custom scanner scripts, so some of us can code our own working scripts - to bad i cant code :(
- Optimise scripts, I dont mind the load on my server, as long as we can reduce load off the network devices and links.

I wish i could code and help on this very useful mactracker :o simply awesome :wink: What do you think of my suggestions?
Are you kidding, excellent. I'm going to put you to work as an official beta tester. You might want to take a gander at the SVN. So long as you have not hacked the current version, it should be an overlay. I would like your comments on the changes thus far. Maktrack was initially intended to be a passive device, as when I wrote it, I had no access (other than snmp) to the devices. However, I do like the idea of making changes on the fly to switches in targeted cases. This would take a bit of engineering though. We would need to collaborate closely.

TheWitness