Architecture install destroyed working Cacti interface

Support for the Plugin Architecture

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

ionutionescu

Architecture install destroyed working Cacti interface

Post by ionutionescu »

Hi,

I needed to install the Weathermap plugin, and one of the requirements was to install the Architecture plugin as well. I am (better said was :) ) using 087b, so I downloaded the cacti-plugin-0.8.7-PA-v1.3.zip archive.

I followed install instructions from http://docs.cacti.net/manual:087:1_installation.9_pia - which at some point indicate that some original cacti files should be overwritten. Unfortunately, the guide doesn't mention from the start that editing of some php files is required after "installation", and I did not expect that the (simple, they say) addition of a plugin will tamper with the original config files (!).

In conclusion, I have destroyed a Cacti instance that was working very well for over 5 years, with a lot of data and customization. I am no longer able to use the web interface, although I think the engine is still polling via SNMP.

What is there to be done in this case?

Please note that my Linux experience is limited - I am a network guy, not a Linux guy - and the URLs and the forums I have searched so far seem to be of little help since everybody assumes expert-like experience with Linux, MySQL and PHP... I just want to use the thing - not take a MSc in programming.

Thanks in advance.
cigamit
Developer

Re: Architecture install destroyed working Cacti interface

Post by cigamit »

1st, anytime before you make any changes, you should always take backups so you can roll back.

2nd, using that old of a version (released 29-Oct-2008!), you should have just upgraded Cacti to the latest. And its probably your best option at this point anyways if the installation is already down.

3rd, we would need to know what error messages are being displayed before we could proceed with helping you any further (either on the interface, or in the logs).