Syslog Alert Rules

General discussion about Plugins for Cacti

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

skywalkerznz

Syslog Alert Rules

Post by skywalkerznz »

Hello!

I have configured some simple alert rules and I see most of the times the rule does not get hit, its very simple begins with mgt, I tried changing that to contains mgt, and still i see not all I see, is there anything I am missing. Thank you.
macan
Cacti Pro User

Re: Syslog Alert Rules

Post by macan »

Please show screenshot of rule and at least one line which you want alerted
Let the Cacti grow!
skywalkerznz

Post by skywalkerznz »

Please see attached rule and syslog entry.
Attachments
rule.png
rule.png (166.43 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
syslog.png
syslog.png (135.57 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
skywalkerznz

Post by skywalkerznz »

If I search from syslog, I can see 17 messages matching the search string, on the Alert I only see 6, duration of search is 1 day.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Syslog alerts operate on what is in the pipeline, not what happened in the last day. So, it looks at the table syslog_incoming only as it's currently designed. There is an RFE to look back X-minutes in the past, but to date, no one has provided a pull request to implement such a feature. I would do it, but I have a day job and my priorities are not the same as people from the community when I volunteer my time to work on Cacti. As a ripen (read get old an grey), the boss won't give me the time I need to fix all the needs fixing/enhancing in Cacti and it's various plugins.
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
skywalkerznz

Post by skywalkerznz »

Hi The Witness!

Thank you for clarifying how syslog alerts work, I thought something I was doing was not right, but great work, will wait when you have time to add this, may be someday you might get day off and decide to write little code!

Thank you for the excellent work.