[BETA] Windows All-In-One Installer [Cacti 1.2.25] [Updated 2023-08-29]

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

netniV
Cacti Guru User

[BETA] Windows All-In-One Installer [Cacti 1.2.25] [Updated 2023-08-29]

Post by netniV »

Description
The Windows installer for Cacti has been revamped for Cacti v1.2.25. Whilst it has been tested on Windows 10/2016/2019, it is still considered to be in a BETA version for wider audience testing. This is only meant for test installations where you have no existing components installed (i.e. Cacti, MySQL, Apache, PHP). It installs the latest Cacti-compatible versions of all needed applications in their default locations (per the install guide), configures them, and should give you a fully functional Cacti.

Some notable changes from the 1.2.24 installer are:
  • Apache installs will prompt for a username/password to use with the system service
  • Net-SNMP has been updated to a version that will support later versions of SNMP
  • Installer logs are no longer generated automatically due to security concerns for administrators who may not release the information and location of these logs.
  • MariaDB replaces MySQL as the database engine that is installed
This installer lets you choose between using IIS or Apache web server. When using Apache, it will ask for a valid username/password to use for the system service. This will default the service account to the Windows builtin service virtual account of NT SERVICE\apache24.

It'll also install 64-bit versions of MariaDB/PHP/Net-SNMP, where applicable. Some anti-virus programs block the installer from properly executing its scripts; you might need to disable them temporarily (please remember to reinstate them afterwards).

Don't forget to follow the post-install instructions and restart the server before trying to access the Cacti website! After the installer is done,

Generating install logs
To generate log files of installation, the following options are available and use the executable name/location as a prefix (eg, cact-1.2.25.exe.log):
  • /lc (forward slash, lima, charlie) Log commands to the install.exe.commands file.
  • /ld (forward slash, lima, delta) Log details to the install.exe.details file.
  • /ll (forward slash, lima, lima) Log info to the install.exe.log file.
Download
Please download the beta version of Cacti v1.2.25 for Windows

Support
Please report any problems regarding the installer in this thread. Generic Cacti problems should go in their own new separate thread after you've read this post.

Donations
Please consider giving a donation if you found the Cacti Windows installer to be helpful. Every little bit helps. Thanks!

andermat

Re: [BETA] Windows All-In-One Installer [Cacti 1.2.25] [Updated 2023-08-29]

Post by andermat »

Using the installer, after selecting IIS, I still get the screen for Apache service account. I just selected the default setting and continued on. Doesn't appear to be an issue, just an FYI. Ideally the Apache screen would not appear if IIS is selected. Doesn't look like Apache gets installed so no big deal.

Also, noticed after selecting E: drive for the install net-snmp still installed on c:\usr.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Yea, we really need a better net-snmp installer. It currently does not support Silent installs, so things go into the wrong directory. Glad you tested it though. If you would like to log an issue on GitHub about the silent installer for Windows, it would be great.
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
eduardomozart

Post by eduardomozart »

Hello,
It seems that Cacti 1.2.26 is available since Dec. 23, 2023.
I used your installer to upgrade my Cacti (Apache) instance from 1.2.24 to 1.2.25, and it updated as expected. I just noticed the following:

1. Even when upgrading it still generating the "Cacti-Passwords.txt", which I believe it should not.

2. I believe your installer breaks compatibility with non-64 bit Windows versions as Net-SNMP for Windows 32-bit isn't provided anymore (I believe that no one should be using Windows 32-bit, but I believe that would be great to check the user architecture before running if breaking Windows 32-bit compatibility is intended).

3. Net-SNMP installer seems to be installed in C:\usr as stated by @andermat. I tested id and I was able to replace the Net-SNMP default install path using "net-snmp-setup.exe /S /D=C:\net-snmp" (please make sure that it's the last argument on the command line and there's no spaces, even if the output path contains spaces)

4. I also noticed an odd behavior that is related to Net-SNMP itself, as reported in https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=68001 and I believe it should affect other users that are upgrading from 1.2.24 to 1.2.25 since you updated Net-SNMP version: the Apache service may fail to start after with exception code "0xc0000409" on Windows Event Viewer after upgrading Net-SNMP because it's cache may contain files from an older Net-SNMP version. When upgrading, the Cacti All-in-One installer should delete all files in C:\net-snmp\snmp\persist\mib_indexes directory to guarantee an smooth transition.

5. It seems that Net-SNMP version 5.9.4 is available but your installer uses 5.9.3.

6. It seems that when upgrading the Spine from 1.2.24 to 1.2.25 it was unable to connect to the MySQL database (it seems that the 1.2.25 installer changes from MySQL to MariaDB, but upgrading keeps MySQL installed), even when the password didn't change. The error "FATAL: Connection Failed, Error:'2002', Message:'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysql.sock' (2)'" was being thrown when running Spine. I had to replace "DBHost localhost" to "DBHost 127.0.0.1" on spine.conf to be able to connect MySQL through Spine. The Cacti All-in-One installer should be set it to use the IP address instead of localhost to avoid this.

7. As @andermat stated, when selecting "IIS", the Apache credentials setup screen is shown.

8. The OpenSSL Light 3.2.0 version is available now but installer uses 3.1.1.

9. It would be great if we could uncheck some components during installation so we could install them on our own, if needed. It was possible on 1.2.24 All-in-One installer but it doesn't seem available anymore.

10. It's assign the "NT Service/Apache2.4" account permissions for "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot" files when IIS is selected during setup.

11. The installer do not assign the "Write" permission for the "IUSR" user on "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\log", "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\cache" and "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\include\config.php" files. I had to right click the file > Security tab and assign it manually or through icacls:

Code: Select all

icacls "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\log" /grant "IUSR:(OI)(CI)(RX,W)"
icacls "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\cache" /grant "IUSR:(OI)(CI)(RX,W)"
icacls "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\include\config.php" /grant "IUSR:(RX,W)"
12. The Remote poller setup seems to hang on Step 4 (after checking if files are writable).

13. The installer could detect the current timezone from Windows and set it to php.ini or ask the user to select it instead of fallback to "America/Los_Angeles".

14. The installer should set "innodb" to ON and "innodb_doublewrite" to OFF on my.cnf as Cacti recommendations

15. The "innodb" parameter is unset. It seems to be a Cacti bug. I proposed a fix at https://github.com/Cacti/cacti/pull/5637

16. There’s a new version of MariaDB available.

17. The MariaDB isn’t shown on Control Panel “Programs and Resources” when it’s installed silently.

I didn't found your post earlier and I ended up compiling Spine 1.2.26 through Cygwin, when/if you update the installer you can use this build or compile your own, hope it helps. It's available at https://www.mediafire.com/file/g5fsuw5n ... n.zip/file

I'm glad to see that Cacti community is still available and such amazing installer are still available for anyone =) It would be great if the recipe to generate the Windows All-in-One installer be available on GitHub or any other sources so other people would be able to compile and further develop it if needed.
Regards.