The House Girl

A place to talk about books! [Public]

Moderator: scrapperqueen

classiclyamanda
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 67

The House Girl

Post by classiclyamanda »

Just read The House Girl by Tara Conklin for our book club. It is a good book that moves between the past and modern day and traverses the lives of two women. One a slave that was an artist and a modern day lawyer. All the girls in my group loved it!
croppinmama
Cherry Cola
Gallery: -2

Re: The House Girl

Post by croppinmama »

I think my 20 yr old daughter would love this book. That's great you have a book club. Everyone met at an expensive restaurant and always picked the latest books. Between paying full price for a book because it didn't hit the library yet and paying for a meal every month, it got costly. Our library stopped having a book club because not enough people would show up.
classiclyamanda
Cherry Blossom

That's so sad! We are a small group. We usually take turns meeting at each others houses. Sometimes we will meet at Panera or a frozen yogurt place for fun. And we always choose books that are available at the local library. In fact, when choosing a book we check the website to see if 1. they have it and 2. they have enough copies without having a huge hold list so we can ensure that we can get it. We have also been known to share books because some of us read super fast Image We may not read the latest and greatest books out, but we enjoy it and I think that is all that matters!
croppinmama
Cherry Cola
Gallery: -2

Post by croppinmama »

classiclyamanda wrote:That's so sad! We are a small group. We usually take turns meeting at each others houses. Sometimes we will meet at Panera or a frozen yogurt place for fun. And we always choose books that are available at the local library. In fact, when choosing a book we check the website to see if 1. they have it and 2. they have enough copies without having a huge hold list so we can ensure that we can get it. We have also been known to share books because some of us read super fast Image We may not read the latest and greatest books out, but we enjoy it and I think that is all that matters!
I like the idea of sharing a book. We have book club kits at the library and I have used those with friends, but we read them all, lol.  
citygirl22
Sweet Cherry Pie
Gallery: 175

Post by citygirl22 »

I miss my book club so much Image There were four of us and two (including me) moved away from the neighbourhood so it kinda fell apart. Maybe we should start an online ACOT club!

Thanks for the book recommendation Amanda, I'm going to add it to my list. 
Stephanie
I blog @ Skyline Paperie
classiclyamanda
Cherry Blossom

No problem! I would be down for doing and ACOT book club. That would be fun!
meljustcole
Cherry Picker
Gallery: 43

Post by meljustcole »

classiclyamanda wrote:No problem! I would be down for doing and ACOT book club. That would be fun!
ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :) 
scrapsteph
Cherry Berry
Gallery: 425

Post by scrapsteph »

I would try to be part of an online ACOT book club as well.  I have always wanted to try one.

Stephanie

Scrapbutterfly
Cherry Tart

Post by Scrapbutterfly »

I would love to be a part of a book club. 
1grandma
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 187

Post by 1grandma »

I have never been in a book club before.  Sounds interesting.  What does it involve?  Responsibilities? 
Bibi
cajenkins81
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 256

Post by cajenkins81 »

I've never been in a book club. I used to read ALL the time in high school and maybe some in college, but then with grad school and kids, I really stopped reading. I had to read SO much for school and education that it wasn't fun anymore, and now I just never seem to have the time. Now where I work there's a book club, so I joined it, thinking I'd meet some of the people at work (since I'm still kinda new there) and find some great books to read. For 4 months I got the books and barely read 20 pages. The biggest hurdle is that she picks books that to me seem so obscure and totally not anything I'm interested in reading. 

one book was http://www.amazon.com/The-Sandcastle-Gi ... 0307743918 and with it being a historical fiction, I just could NOT get into it. She picked another one similar, but some of them have been different types of books, but still, nothing I could really get into, and again I just really don't ever seem to have the time to just SIT and READ. To me it's like doing nothing lol. I have too much other stuff to be doing! 

So, i'd love to be in a book club, but I want books that I can find interesting and get into! lol and even still, I have no idea if I'll ever get the reading bug back, at least not with a little one running around in tow. 
Carolyn, mommy to Olivia (precocious preschooler) and Owen (rambunctious toddler).

2013 Page Totals: April - 3. May - 17. June - 25. July - 20. Aug - 20, 2 tags. Sept - 5. Oct - 13. Nov - 8. Dec - 14 LO, 2 projects, 1 card. 
Year: 125, 1 card, 2 projects, 2 tags 
2014 Page Totals: Jan - 15, 2 cards. Feb - 9, 1 project. Mar - 21 (I was busy!) (45 this year already)

My New Blog! Scrapper, Interrupted
classiclyamanda
Cherry Blossom

We could do this! The responsibilities would be to read the book and we could do a discussion thread. In my club, we usually make suggestions and then everyone decides on one book that they think might be interesting. Sometimes people in our group don't get the book read, but they join the discussion anyway. It is up to you. What do you guys think?
1grandma
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 187

Post by 1grandma »

classiclyamanda wrote:We could do this! The responsibilities would be to read the book and we could do a discussion thread. In my club, we usually make suggestions and then everyone decides on one book that they think might be interesting. Sometimes people in our group don't get the book read, but they join the discussion anyway. It is up to you. What do you guys think?

I think this is totally do-able.  I'm in.
Bibi

Return to “Book Nook”