All You Need is Love

A place to talk about books! [Public]

Moderator: scrapperqueen

croppinmama
Cherry Cola
Gallery: -2

All You Need is Love

Post by croppinmama »

I have been back to posting on the Book Nook message board. It is sadly being neglected, lol. I heard about this new book that came out All You Need is Love by Marie Force. It is her first book of her Green Mountain series. Her inspiration was the Vermont Country Store, which I frequent often. She uses the Beatles songs for her titles and this book happened to come out the same week it was 50 years the Beatles came to the United States. Did you see the special concert on tv last week? It was awesome. I can't wait to read it because I love to read about states, towns, and landmarks I have visited. It just makes me feel more connected.

Ok....so let's get this message board going again ladies Image
ernstem
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 20

Re: All You Need is Love

Post by ernstem »

Does it count that I took DS#1 to the library so I could stock up on scrappy related novels?! Love to read but not much time and usually have to choose between reading and scrapping. I read more in the summer when I can sit outside with the kids.
croppinmama
Cherry Cola

Post by croppinmama »

ernstem wrote:Does it count that I took DS#1 to the library so I could stock up on scrappy related novels?! Love to read but not much time and usually have to choose between reading and scrapping. I read more in the summer when I can sit outside with the kids.

Yes that counts. I think going to the library is an awesome thing to do no matter what you are picking up. I used to get scrapbook magazines there but now they are out of publication. Our library is next to the high school so luckily my kids go a lot. I love that they have a coffee stand with all different flavors and separate rooms you can go in and shut the door. One time I brought my scrappy stuff while my kids had to do research for a project. I had so much fun!! 
Ayla
Cherry Addict
Gallery: 1078

Post by Ayla »

Croppinmama wrote:
ernstem wrote:Does it count that I took DS#1 to the library so I could stock up on scrappy related novels?! Love to read but not much time and usually have to choose between reading and scrapping. I read more in the summer when I can sit outside with the kids.

Yes that counts. I think going to the library is an awesome thing to do no matter what you are picking up. I used to get scrapbook magazines there but now they are out of publication. Our library is next to the high school so luckily my kids go a lot. I love that they have a coffee stand with all different flavors and separate rooms you can go in and shut the door. One time I brought my scrappy stuff while my kids had to do research for a project. I had so much fun!! 
I read in spurts. LIke others, I tend to read more when the weather is nice and I can sit outside.

My DD is the queen of library utilization. She goes to Barnes and Noble to look at books, decides what she is interested in, then goes online to request the books from the library. When they come in, "Mom, can I go to the library" is heard throughout the house. And it's a five minute trip in, to return some and check out others. She keeps a log of what she has read, what she has checked out, and the due dates of all. She often has, at any given time, around 20 books out from the library. Her record is 34! And she reads each and every one before she returns them!
 Image Image
You don't quit playing because you grow old....you grow old because you quit playing.

blfonty
Cherry Cola
Gallery: 986

Post by blfonty »

Ayla wrote:
Croppinmama wrote:

I read in spurts. LIke others, I tend to read more when the weather is nice and I can sit outside.

My DD is the queen of library utilization. She goes to Barnes and Noble to look at books, decides what she is interested in, then goes online to request the books from the library. When they come in, "Mom, can I go to the library" is heard throughout the house. And it's a five minute trip in, to return some and check out others. She keeps a log of what she has read, what she has checked out, and the due dates of all. She often has, at any given time, around 20 books out from the library. Her record is 34! And she reads each and every one before she returns them!

Your DD sounds super organized and really into keeping lists. Those skills will serve her well as a future scrapbooker!

Bonnie

blfonty a.k.a. Bonnie

croppinmama
Cherry Cola

Post by croppinmama »

I bought this book and read it within a week, which is good for me. It usually takes me longer because I have so many other hobbies. It's really good and I highly recommend it. Book # 2 from this series is coming out in June.

Just a heads up - the sex is very detailed, in case that is an issue for some people. I have never heard of this author before and I'm going to check out her other books at the library.
CarrieG
Cherry Jubilee
Gallery: 1781

Post by CarrieG »

I do not use our public library anymore...it is a hangout for street ppl and the such and not a fun place to be anymore
I buy a lot of my books at thrift stores or online..........
classiclyamanda
Cherry Blossom
Gallery: 67

Post by classiclyamanda »

Never heard of this. Will definitely check it out! I am an avid reader...and read a wide range of books (might be why I became a librarian Image)
croppinmama
Cherry Cola

Post by croppinmama »

Very cool job....I love our librarians at our local library. I still make my kids go to the library to research projects first then they are allowed to go on the internet. I don't want them to always go to the computer. Call me old fashion, but I want them to know that stuff.
cajenkins81
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 256

Post by cajenkins81 »

any you can suggest? I wasn't aware there were scrappy-related novels. I would love to check out some of those! 

Carolyn, mommy to Olivia (precocious preschooler) and Owen (rambunctious toddler).

2013 Page Totals: April - 3. May - 17. June - 25. July - 20. Aug - 20, 2 tags. Sept - 5. Oct - 13. Nov - 8. Dec - 14 LO, 2 projects, 1 card. 
Year: 125, 1 card, 2 projects, 2 tags 
2014 Page Totals: Jan - 15, 2 cards. Feb - 9, 1 project. Mar - 21 (I was busy!) (45 this year already)

My New Blog! Scrapper, Interrupted
Retiree3
Wild Cherry
Gallery: 5437

Post by Retiree3 »

Thanks for the information on the book.
[
Donna-Retiree3-Proud Grandmother of Three Boys!

[highlight=#000000][/highlight]

croppinmama
Cherry Cola

Post by croppinmama »

CarrieG wrote:I do not use our public library anymore...it is a hangout for street ppl and the such and not a fun place to be anymore
I buy a lot of my books at thrift stores or online..........
That's too bad about your library. That happened in my hometown and they really cracked down. They even had a police officer for awhile until it was safer. A lot of families started coming back and it is nice again. The town I live in now has the library next to the high school. Kids used to hang out and not really use the library and the staff got tough on that crowd too. You have to actually be using the facility to be there.  
croppinmama
Cherry Cola

Post by croppinmama »

cajenkins81 wrote:
any you can suggest? I wasn't aware there were scrappy-related novels. I would love to check out some of those! 

Carolyn - I have read Johanna Campbell Slan and Laura Childs. They both have scrapbooking mystery books. I like Laura Childs tea mysteries better than her scrapbook mysteries.  
scrappinmom99
Chocolate Covered Cherry
Gallery: 1360

Post by scrappinmom99 »

Croppinmama wrote:I have been back to posting on the Book Nook message board. It is sadly being neglected, lol. I heard about this new book that came out All You Need is Love by Marie Force. It is her first book of her Green Mountain series. Her inspiration was the Vermont Country Store, which I frequent often. She uses the Beatles songs for her titles and this book happened to come out the same week it was 50 years the Beatles came to the United States. Did you see the special concert on tv last week? It was awesome. I can't wait to read it because I love to read about states, towns, and landmarks I have visited. It just makes me feel more connected.

Ok....so let's get this message board going again ladies Image

I have copy edited Marie Force's books through Carina Press - the Fatal series. Image 

Last edited by scrappinmom99 on Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie
scrappinmom99
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by scrappinmom99 »

Croppinmama wrote:

I also used to get scrappy mags at my library and it's so disheartening that they no longer get them and/or they have gone out of print.

Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie
croppinmama
Cherry Cola

Post by croppinmama »

Very cool Anne Marie. Do you ever get to meet any authors? I have a bucket list full of authors I want to meet!
scrappinmom99
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by scrappinmom99 »

Croppinmama wrote:Very cool Anne Marie. Do you ever get to meet any authors? I have a bucket list full of authors I want to meet!

Not now, I don't, since I am a freelancer. But back in the day (the 90s lol) I worked at Doubleday Book Club and got to meet some authors. We were supposed to "play it cool" but it was hard sometimes lol.  I brought John Grisham coffee in a meeting and helped Dr. Ruth (remember her?) find free books for her grandchildren! We also used to have swanky Literary Guild parties at the Waldorf-Astoria and if assistants (what I was at the time) wanted to go, we had to work. So we were all in our little black dresses handing out nametags. Barbara Taylor Bradford and Mary Higgins Clark said we looked fabulous, and Robin Cook flirted with us. Gloria Vanderbuilt wore giant necklaces to hide her facelifts (so the editors told us). My heartstopping moment, though, was talking to Frank McCourt after he won the Pulitzer. I had read his manuscript to see if we wanted to carry it in the clubs and was blown away by it. I wouldn't trade being a work-at-home mom now (less politics, more freedom!) but there were some cool benefits! Image

Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie
croppinmama
Cherry Cola

Post by croppinmama »

scrappinmom99 wrote:
Croppinmama wrote:Very cool Anne Marie. Do you ever get to meet any authors? I have a bucket list full of authors I want to meet!

Not now, I don't, since I am a freelancer. But back in the day (the 90s lol) I worked at Doubleday Book Club and got to meet some authors. We were supposed to "play it cool" but it was hard sometimes lol.  I brought John Grisham coffee in a meeting and helped Dr. Ruth (remember her?) find free books for her grandchildren! We also used to have swanky Literary Guild parties at the Waldorf-Astoria and if assistants (what I was at the time) wanted to go, we had to work. So we were all in our little black dresses handing out nametags. Barbara Taylor Bradford and Mary Higgins Clark said we looked fabulous, and Robin Cook flirted with us. Gloria Vanderbuilt wore giant necklaces to hide her facelifts (so the editors told us). My heartstopping moment, though, was talking to Frank McCourt after he won the Pulitzer. I had read his manuscript to see if we wanted to carry it in the clubs and was blown away by it. I wouldn't trade being a work-at-home mom now (less politics, more freedom!) but there were some cool benefits! Image

OMG Ann-Marie I've read most of the authors you mentioned and would have loved t o meet them. What an exciting time for you. Yes working at home to be with your kids is much better but at least you have great stories !! Image
scrappinmom99
Chocolate Covered Cherry

Post by scrappinmom99 »

It was great fun working there. I couldn't believe somebody would pay me to read (well, to do long book reports lol).  I couldn't breathe when I was talking to Frank McCourt Image.  We used to have "events" all the time in the office - we'd have cookoffs to test cookbooks and we had Game Day Thursdays at lunch. Everybody brought in board games to play.  I've never worked anywhere like it before or since!
Happy Scrapping!
Anne-Marie
mommyribs
Cherry Berry
Gallery: 76

Post by mommyribs »

A friend of mine is an author and I recently finished a book she wrote "Butterman Time Travel Inc" .  I loved it and just feel so privileged to know her.  I was left wanting more when it was done and she informed me she is almost done with the next one and has decided it will be a trilogy.  Looking forward to reading the next one for sure!
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Have a "magical" day

Return to “Book Nook”